Monday, March 01, 2010

The song remains the same

Sometimes people approach me on the streets and say "Mr. Purists, are there any songs currently on release that you feel go on a little bit too long?" Usually, I'm a bit stuck for an answer.

However, as of today I can confidently reply, "Yes, that new track Be Brave by The Strange Boys. It's only three minutes long, but it seems to go on forever."

Have a listen below. You get the idea within the first twenty seconds and then the same guitar motif gets repeated approximately eight times, enlived, thankfully, by a squawking sax riff. Like most good garage rock, this should cut off at about the 1' 30" mark.

While I'm on about it See also E=MC2 by Big Audio Dynamite, which, although great in lots of ways, to my mind also goes far longer than it needs to, and long after we've got the idea.


No comments: