Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Star's on 45 (and CD. And download.)

Sam Taylor-Wood and the Pet Shop Boys (neither of whom I get particularly excited about) are about to release a cover of The Passions' I'm In Love With A German Film Star. As I haven't managed to hear it yet, I'll reserve judgement, but the cover (right) doesn't fill me with hope. Far too literal. Then again, it's on Kompakt, so it might be OK.

Aaah, who am I kidding. It couldn't possibly be as good as the original, a sublime and hypnotic track that younger readers may recognise from the first episode of Ashes To Ashes. At the time of its release, the Polydor PR people said it was "a dream in sound and words", and for once, they nailed it absolutely. It's a pocket symphony with added Echoplex, and it really keys into that Fiction records/early Cure thing (though the group had split from Fiction after an initial liaison), while presaging the shoegazing/dreampop thing of 10 years later. I've linked to the original just below.



Download I'm In Love With A German Film Star (mp3) (deleted Aug 2009)

Buy the new version

Buy 30,000 Feet Over China


The Passions (nice site, BTW)

No comments: