Friday, January 31, 2014

After the Gramme

In my Albums of the Year last month, I was remiss in forgetting that Gramme had put out a (terrific) long player in 2013, and I'd like to correct that omission.  Gramme chose to return to recording some 14 years after their initial, well-received punk-funk offering (see posts passim); why they failed to capitalise on their moment at the start of the 21st century, just as Simon Reynolds was finishing writing Rip It Up, and when Output Records was the last word in metropolitan chic, is beyond me (though an even more egregious example of missing the boat also arrived in 2013 when Johnny Hates Jazz issued an album 22 years after the last one).  Whatever their reasons for their 14 year hiatus (and they're being slightly opaque about why they've been away), I'm very happy they're back; the sound-- dirty scuzzy raunch-- is still intact, and they seem to be in it for the long(ish) haul, talking about future tours, new albums etc.

No comments: