Friday, March 10, 2006

Irk The Purists

Give me Love, give me Can, give me Meatloaf,
Give me Rush, give me Marquee Moon
Michael Ball or The Fall, I could listen to them all
In the twilight or the afternoon
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists it's a right good laugh
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists in the bath

Hall and Oates, ???????, Miles Davis
Patti Smith, Simply Red, Sly Stone
Be they false or 4Real, I don't care and nor does Neal
So long as we can hear their songs
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
It could well be an Olympic sport
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
If you've never then you ought

Husker Du-Du-Du
Captain Beefheart, ELO
Chris DeBurgh, Sun Ra, Del Amitri, John Coltrane

Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Come on boy, you know it feels so right
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists tonight

A great little song, and something of a manifesto for the site; there'll be selections from all of the above (with the possible exception of Michael Ball) coming up. Some need no bigging up from me (can Television's stock be any higher in the post-Rip It Up world?), others need reclaiming from the naff bin (Simply Red being a case in point). And can anyone tell me what Nigel's actually singing after "Hall and Oates"?


Download Half Man Half Biscuit "Irk The Purists" (deleted Feb 2007)


HMHB site








Buy Trouble Over Bridgewater

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And can anyone tell me what Nigel's actually singing after "Hall and Oates"?"

I may be utterly off the mark but I always thought it was "random goth". Let me know what you think.

Rik (rkrik2@aol.com)

Irk The Purists said...

Works for me, mate. And how fantastic is this interweb thing that I can pose a question in 2006, and someone can find it and reply some 23 months later.

Cheers fella!

Sorry for taking 3 weeks to reply...

Chris said...

I'd had it as "round of golf" although that doesn't really fit the context. Anyway, finding this post inspired me to add this song to the Half Man Half Biscuit Lyrics Project.

Irk The Purists said...

Hurray! Thanks for the input; your guess is as good as any other I've heard...

Though it strikes me that, reading this back, I've singularly failed in my mission to bring Husker Du, Rush, Love or Chris DeBurgh to the mp3-downloading masses (though I have covered Can, Miles, Simply Red and Sun Ra). I hope you'll all forgive me and reflect that even if I haven't adhered to the letter of my promise, I have at least adhered to its spirit.